[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Johnson City Radio Controllers Club Forum • View topic - Why we crash

Why we crash

A place to kick back, relax and talk off-topic.

Moderator: Board Member

Why we crash

Postby SteveB » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:14 pm

This is what will be a series of short 3-4 paragraph posts over the next week or two analyzing some of my past crashes and what I could have done to prevent them. It took me crashing my prized FPV platform, a Bixler 2, to step back and take a look at my actions leading up to the crash, hopefully preventing future crashes, and helping others to do the same. I truly believe not all crashes have to happen, and that most are simply a result of careless actions, taking short cuts, or just being lazy. Before I go any further I have to admit I am guilty of all three.

In the blink of an eye I recently put my prized FPV platform, my Bixler2, nose first into the dirt destroying the plane; being more shocked than surprised I immediately knew what happened and why. I stalled the plane by banking hard to line up on my final approach, while at a slow air speed and low altitude; the truth is I chopped the throttle to cut off before banking. This crash is yet another added to my many past crashes that didn’t need to happen, in fact, out of all my plane and drone crashes only a very small percentage of them happened due to unforeseen causes such as a servo gone bad, my radio unknowingly set to high rate while performing a maiden, or a wing strut breaking just to name a few.

In my short 5 year history of flying RC planes, and a few months flying drones, by the way I’m not a drone guy, I have experienced many crashes, including crashing three Bixlers beyond repair due to stalling the wing tip in a sharp bank while at a slow air speed and low altitude; so why haven’t I learned yet to keep my air speed up when banking into a turn. The answer to this question, and other questions related to the “Why’s” of a crash are not as easy to answer as one would think, hence the reason why this article is titled “Why we crash” – part 1 of ? It’s not possible to sum this topic up in just a few short paragraphs, besides no one wants to sit and read pages and pages on what seems to be a natural part of the RC flying hobby. I for one don’t believe, and do not accept the fact that all crashes are a natural part this hobby, especially when I nose plant a plane with better than $400 worth of modifications, cameras, and electronics into the ground.

Having worked for over 20 years as a jet engine and aircraft mechanic in the Air Force, obtaining a bachelors degree in aviation science, and just naturally being an analytical thinker, it’s only natural for me to analyze some of my past crashes in hopes to better understand what I can do to prevent future crashes. Losing my latest Bixler to the dirt for nothing more than getting in a hurry was wake-up call for me as I am in the process of adding OSD, GPS, and flight stabilization to my new platform, as well as upgrading my video TX/RX to a longer range system – needless to say this will add another $300-400 to the cost. With that said, I fully intend to keep my crashes to a minimum, and hopefully by documenting my thoughts in this forum, it will help remind myself how quickly and easily a needless crash can happen, and hopefully help others keep their crashes to a minimum as well; after all I have yet to meet a fellow flyer who after a crash says, “Oh well, it’s just a plane/quad, I’ll buy another since their so cheap” More to come so please check back…
Steve…
SteveB
Club Member

Re: Why we crash

Postby TiredIronGRB » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:02 pm

Great topic Steve, I mostly crash now when I start getting cocky :oops:
George R. Baker
Church Hill, TN

TiredIronGRB
Site Admin

Postby SteveB » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:06 am

I agree George, I do to; I can accept cocky flying crashes, as well as unforeseen mechanical or electrical issues; after all who can resist flying a baron full throttle just a couple feet off the ground in a baking turn, or a wildcat wide open. On the other end of the spectrum, when you last flew your bomber, I don't recall its identity, you discovered it was under powered right after takeoff, barley keeping itself in the air. You did everything right, taking your time, making smooth slow turns to line up on final, and safely landed with only minimal cosmetic damage. Thai's the place I continue to focus on when I fly my Bixler and Yak, always thinking what will I do if this or that happens.
SteveB
Club Member

Postby SteveB » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:23 pm

So in my last post I stated that I had crashed three Bixler 2’s due to stalling the wing tip at slow speeds while making a sharp turn. My first Bixler crash I was still relatively new at flying RC planes but felt pretty comfortable with the plane after having many successful flights. I was flying in an open field where I usually conduct all my maiden flights. Wanting to get some low level video from my tripod mounted GoPro, I started making slow sweeping passes in front of the camera, after several passes I was feeling pretty good and decided to do some hard banking turns to keep my Bixler in the picture for the entire turn. On my first hard banking turn at the same airspeed I was making my previous passes, the wing tip dropped, mind you I’m only 2 feet off the ground, and the nose of the plane immediately pointed down, and a second later I was in the dirt. I wasn’t too disappointed because up to that point I was being very cautious with my flying. I started out the flight with a good CG, fresh battery, checked all hardware on the plane, and even made a few high altitude passes to be sure everything was operational. I accepted the crash as a learning experience; I tested the flight envelope of the plane and found one of its outer boundaries, “lesson learned”.

On my second Bixler crash, and what this article is leading up to, I wasn’t as careful with all the pre-flight checks. My second crash happened immediately after takeoff from a snowy field on the side of a hill not far from my house. I decided to mount my GoPro on the Bixler and video some snow scenes before it melted away; the sun was up, and like many N.E. Tennessee snowy days, it’s here one day and gone the next so I had to get a move on. This flight should have been no big deal as I have flow this plane before with the GoPro mounted on it; by now I have been flying RC planes for a couple years. Not wanting to waste time I grabbed my plane, camera, battery, and radio and headed down the road, just a short one minute drive to the field just across from my property. I pushed the battery in the nose, snapped on the camera and was in the air in “record time”. Immediately after takeoff I realized I was nose heavy, so instead of keeping the plane on a straight path down the hill to land, and not really wanting to walk down the hill to retrieve it, I decided to turn around and fly back to my launch sight. After turning hard to avoid a tree line, my white plane against the white snow background disappeared for a second, seemed like an hour. After refocusing on the plane I made a quick final turn as I pulled the throttle back to slow the plane down for a close by landing. Like my last crash the wing tip dropped and immediately the nose is pointing straight down, yep crash number two.

Crash number 3 was about the same, I just wanted to get a quick FPV flight in after work. On the way home all I could envision was sitting back on the tail gate of my truck in the driveway and just getting lost in the FPV video monitor for 20-30 minutes as the sun set; being January the sun sets pretty quick after I get home from work. For this flight, like most, I decided to use my Mobius, so after getting everything set up I performed a quick CG check and realized the plane is a little nose heavy but not too bad. I throttled up, launch, climbed out, then had a moment of guilt as I really wanted to set a better CG, so I decide to “quickly” land and correct it, after all I was burning day light. For the last several months I have been flying my two Bloody Barons pretty regularly so a lot of yanking and banking going on. Still in the Baron flight mode I banked hard to turn the Bixler around in order to set up on final approach. Since all of this is going on just seconds after takeoff, I’m still at full throttle, the first hard turn was flawless but my Bixler was closer to my normal final approach than I usually fly which meant I had to slow down a great deal while making another hard turn to the left as to not overshoot my landing field. I chopped the throttle as I felt I had enough air speed, banked hard which burn up most all my air speed, and again the wing tip dropped and the Bixlers nose pointed down -- CRASH

So there you have it, the anatomy of my three Bixler crashes; in my final post I will give you my thoughts as to why these 3 crashes happened, or you probably already know – don’t make a hard banking turn with the Bixler 2, “right”? I wish it was that easy…
SteveB
Club Member

Postby SteveB » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:00 pm

OK so for my final post on why I (we) crash; besides the times when we get cocky and try maneuvers that we know if gone wrong will end up in a crash, and the unexpected component failure, I think we can trace most of our crashes back to several steps prior to actual impact with the ground. Using my Bixler crashes as an example, my last two were due to getting in a hurry and not taking time to ensure basic steps were accomplished prior to launch. Accepting the “I have to fly now” option is another mistake, if you don’t have 5 minutes to spare to ensure your plane is ready to safely fly, you are just asking for trouble. In my 3rd Bixler crash, I felt like I didn’t have 2 minutes to check my CG, however immediately after takeoff I rushed a final approach to land and correctly set it up. Obviously this didn’t work out, as my new Bixler is still sitting on the bench waiting to be put together.

All of this probably sounds like I’m stating the obvious, which I am, however these simple steps seem to be ignored from time to time, actually to many times I’m willing to bet. So now that we know why we crash, what do we do to break our bad habits; I think this is an individual choice as we all have different circumstances when we fly. For me, I don’t put a battery in my plane until I look it over for any loose or broken parts, maybe from a past hard landing or such. Once I check and then install my battery, then perform a CG check, I run through all my flight control checks, first in high rate, then in low, that way if I forget to set my rates before takeoff I’m at least in low rate when I launch. I also perform a full throttle run check to be sure I have plenty of power for take-off, and that there is no unusual vibration coming from the motor. Just prior to launching, either by hand or a ground takeoff, I look around and think through one or two emergency landing options; this has saved me from a serious crash or two due to trouble after takeoff.

I use these techniques quite often before and when I fly, unfortunately just not every time. When I fly my Bixler I pay much more attention to the details just because of the amount of equipment I fly with. It’s not uncommon for me to set up my video receiver, monitor, and tripod, preflight my plane, and then just before launch, cancel my flight because of unexpected wind gusts. Since my last Bixler crash I have been, for lack of a better description, hyper focused on all aspects of my flying. My goal is to prevent as many needless crashes as possible. This is not to say I don’t have fun when I fly because I do, and for the times I want to get wreckless, I break out the bloody barons and rip through the sky like I’m on fire.

As I mentioned at the beginning of my first post, I am using this forum in hopes it will remind me to slow down and take care of the basics, before and during my flights. Hopefully others will benefit from these posts as well. Remember, it never hurts to take some time off from flying, check all your planes and/or drones, make any necessary repairs, then mentally prepare yourself for future flights and emergency actions, when needed. I welcome any comments, thoughts, and/or suggestions.
SteveB
Club Member

Return to Pilot's Lounge