[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Johnson City Radio Controllers Club Forum • View topic - What's up with the old guy that's a quad freak?

What's up with the old guy that's a quad freak?

Discussion about multirotored flying platforms (commonly called tricopters, quadcopters, hexcopters, etc)

Moderator: Board Member

What's up with the old guy that's a quad freak?

Postby John Sabol » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:26 pm

Well, it seems that I have gone over to the Dark Side.........because they have cookies AND quads.

Most of you that I have met know that I was flying fixed wing. I was keeping it simple and just trying to develop sound basic skills. Meanwhile, Brad Stopped by George's one day and told us that he flew FPV Freestyle drones. He took me for a ride (I was wearing his goggles) and I was like a 6 year old again. I had to do this!

I grabbed a micro (Blade Inductrix) just to see if I would enjoy quads, not to mention that I needed to find out if I could fly the things. Even with the accelerometer and the training wheels. Rate mode is terrifying for a new pilot!

I fell in love with these things. I then reasoned that I should start modding my micros. Better motors, different prop configurations, adding cams, after-market frames, etc. Micros are addictive. You've been warned!

During the last month, with the help of Craig, Brad, and George, I built my first scratchbuilt freestyle/racing quad. I researched and studied components. I selected and sourced my parts. And when I ran out of excuses, broke out the soldering gun and prayed for no magic smoke. In spite of the intimidation and the steep learning curve, it not only fired up but flew well and was stable. At 53 years old, I don't think that I have ever been more proud of something so silly.

I really love the scratch-build process. Selecting components, solving problems during the build when there are issues......and there are ALWAYS issues! While this is still all new to me, I also enjoy learning about the tuning process.

So because of this, I've gone a little nuts. I keep a couple of builds going all the time and probably have another 5,6 or 10 stashed. I will continue to build as I seem tthat have a knack for it, and will just continue to learn everything I can.

Last Saturday at the indoor fly-in, I loved the little impromptu micro race track. There was a lot of laughter and maybe a colorful word or two. It wasn't about the competition so much as to push myself to the edge of my abilities or lack thereof. I'd really like to see us develop a casual racing league.

if I can help anyone by answering questions, please do not hesitate to ask. I also know that Craig and Brad will kill themselves to help someone new.

I posted this with the hope that it will give someone else the courage to give it a go.

And with that, some of my current and future (on the bench) quad children.
Attachments
IMG_0700.JPG
Future build goodies and spares
IMG_0818.JPG
QAV Skitzo
IMG_0775.JPG
Alien 5 Rotor Riot Edition. Maiden flight this weekend!
IMG_0649.JPG
First scratch build
IMG_0400.JPG
Blade and QX-95
IMG_0551.JPG
Blade Inductrix
Last edited by John Sabol on Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
John Sabol
Club Member

Re: What's up with old guy that's a quad freak?

Postby TiredIronGRB » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:00 pm

Awesome write up John!
George R. Baker
Church Hill, TN

TiredIronGRB
Site Admin

Postby SteveB » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:18 am

I have a question John, or maybe George can help me, is there a way I can lock myself out of the "Multirotor" link so I don't accidentally get sucked into the drone craze, and Johns addiction. LOL remember, I'm not a drone guy, just fixed wing. Just kidding John, it's great to see your passion for the drones, that's how I feel about flying fixed wing FPV.
SteveB
Club Member

Postby John Sabol » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:51 am

George Thanks ! I'll pick a project and kind of walk everyone through it via a post. Once they see its not hard, maybe they'll take the plunge!

Steve, I get it ! You were actually the very first guy I saw with a fixed wing FPV rig. It was at George's fly-in. Really cool stuff.

In the end, it really doesn't doesn't matter what you're building and flying, as long as you're having fun!
John Sabol
Club Member

Return to Aircraft - Multirotor